Need Technology Help?
When technology works – it’s wonderful. When it doesn’t work – it’s super stressful. Especially if you’re grieving.
We get asked a lot of questions about a wide variety of tech topics: from “where’s my download?” to “I’m not getting any of your emails! Where are they?” to a million other things. With questions on course delivery, and access to private Refuge in Grief groups, we can totally help. See below for the answers to common questions. Still need help? Message support AT refugeingrief dot com.
If you’re expecting an email from Refuge in Grief or the Writing Your Grief course and you haven’t seen it yet:
We’ve been using the same mail delivery system for years. The emails for your course or product have absolutely gone out. We know it’s frustrating to not see messages you were expecting, so please take a moment to check the trouble-shooting guide below. Most likely, the answer you need is here.
- Check your spam, social, or promotions folders (with course emails, 98% of the time, what you’re looking for is in there).
- Check your addresses! Payment for most courses goes through paypal. If your paypal email address isn’t your normal email, you won’t see emails related to the course…. because they’ve been sent to your paypal email address. Check that email account, then let us know if you’d like us to use a different email for your course.
- The email issue above is the #1 reason you haven’t seen your invitation to a writing course FB group, or you’re getting a “group not available” message when you click the link in your invitation. We send invitations out to the email address we have on file for you. If the email you use to log in to facebook is not the same as the email you used to sign up for the writing course, you won’t be able to access your facebook group. You’ll need to contact us with the correct address, or fill out the form that is in the email you received when you purchased the course.
- FB won’t allow multiple invitations to be sent to the same address. We cannot resend the original invitation, but there’s an easy fix. Message WYG AT refugeingrief dot com, and we’ll get it sorted.
- If you need to change your address for a course for any reason, message WYG AT refugeingrief dot com (replace AT with @; no spaces)
I emailed about something else, and no one has responded yet!
I don’t know where to find the download / watch a video / save a file!
If you purchased the “Grief Experiment” audio book from the Refuge in Grief website, the download link is in your emailed receipt. Please be sure to check your junkmail folders if you haven’t received the email.
For questions on how to download videos, where audio or video downloads are stored on you computer, and other tech-related issues, we really aren’t the place to ask. Most of the time, we’ll need to point you to resources outside of Refuge in Grief – we just don’t have expertise in all the various computer systems, setups and software needed in order to answer your questions.
You aren’t stuck, though! Most of the time, a simple Google search will answer your questions – quickly, and efficiently.
An example – here’s a common question: “I want to download the PDF or audio file from your page to my computer. How do I save a file from a link?”
Try a Google search for “Save PDF from link” or “Save audio file from link” or “save file from link.” Usually, one of the first two search results will be what you need.
Note that if you ordered a print, audio, or digital version of the book, It’s OK that You’re Not OK, you’ll need to go through your bookseller for help. We have no record of those purchases, as we don’t sell the book directly.
A note on how to ask for help:
If you’re frustrated, yep, we get that. Tech issues are frustrating. Please note: we are a very small staff. We’ve worked hard to make beautiful, useful, supportive things for you. We WANT you to be successful in listening, watching, participating. We’ve laid the steps out clearly. We want you to get the help you need. When you message us, please treat our staff with kindness. HOW you ask for help greatly influences how we respond, and how we feel about our work of supporting you. Take a moment, breathe, re-read the instructions.
Even when there’s an issue we can help you with, we cannot, and will not “respond immediately.” Sometimes your “right now” is the middle of the night for us. Please be patient, and know we will help you, as we are able, as soon as we can. Remember that we are human beings on the other side of this screen.
With many, many thanks to the folks at Heart of Business, for much of the language on this page. You can find super useful support videos on their site, here.